April 15, 2008
Life is Like a Horse Race
Life is an endless list of analogies. There are what seems to be infinitely many ways to view and analyze life. For example: Life is like a horse race. How life is truly like a jockey, a horse, and a dirt track, I'm not sure, but I will figure it out some day.
Life isn't really like any of the analogies people come up with. Life isn't like a roll of toilet paper, a dirty diaper, or even a horse race. Life is like life. There is nothing more to it. Unlike a horse race, life doesn't start with everyone on an even playing field awaiting the signal to go. Life doesn't involve hundreds, if not thousands, of people betting on the odds of a horse and jockey winning.
Life doesn't end in triumph, money, and a bouquet of flowers. Life ends in death, decay, and family members fighting over compensation. In life, there is no one investing based only on the odds of a life "winning"—there is no winning in life.
In short, a person's life is determined by the family he or she lives with, the company he keeps, and the way he lives. Life isn't a partnership of jockey and horse, or a thrilling one-mile dirt track. Life is a living, breathing, and bleeding path of struggle and triumph—in fact, not unlike a horse race.
a/n: Edited out my teacher's name and my name for my own safety purposes.
I was asked to write 200 word essay on how life is like a horse race. I decided to be a smartass. There were two reasons for me to post this:
1. To make people smile.
2. To get someone besides my English teacher to criticize my essays. I know that the last sentence of the intro paragraph should be changed--never use "I" in an essay. I know that. Anything else you've got to say, please do.
- Do not undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others.
- It is because we are different that each of us is special.
Do not set your goals by what other people deem important.
- Only you know what is best for you.
Do not take for granted the things closest to your heart.
- Cling to them as you would your life, for without them, life is meaningless.
Do not let your years slip through your fingers by living in the past, nor in the future.
- By living your life one day at a time, you live all the days of your life.
Do not give up when you still have something to give.
- Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
Do not be afraid to encounter risks.
- It is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.
Do not shut love out of your life by saying it is impossible to find.
- The quickest way to receive love is to give love; the fastest way to lose love is to hold it too tightly.
Do not dismiss your dreams.
- To be without dreams is to be without hope; to be without hope is to be without purpose.
Do not run through life so fast that you forget not only where you have been,
- but also where you are going.
Life is not a race,
- but a journey to be savored each step of the way.