Example of a Critical essay on Social issues about:
fashion / identity / clothing / communication / perception
The affect of fashion on every person and the analysis of fashion as an integral part of a personality’s identity.
What is the main tool every man uses to stand out from the crowd? How does clothing become a part of the self-realization of people? Why is fashion for both men and women associated with their identity?
Clothing is basically a covering designed to be worn on a person's body. This covering is a need, a necessity that is dictated by the norms of social conduct.
Fashion and Identity essay
Table of contents:
2. Fashion and identity
1. Communication through fashion
2. Impact on outer perception
3. Men, women and fashion
1. Women and clothing
2. Men and fashion
4. Symbolism of clothing
5. Culture and fashion
“…Fashion is more powerful than any tyrant”
Introduction: For hundreds of years people have put some message in the type of clothing they wore. Long ago people started wanting to stand out from the “crowd” and be different from other people by means of changing their clothing. Some examples of these “standing out” became very popular and were followed by more people. This was the moment when fashion appeared. Nowadays, fashion is sometimes defined as a “constantly changing trend, favored for frivolous rather than practical, logical, or intellectual reasons”. Nevertheless, it is necessary to say that at the present moment fashion has a deeper influence on the life of people and possess more than just frivolous reasons for its existance. Clothing has become an integral part of self-realization of every person. It is no longer just an “external shield” and a frivolous attitude towards it may cause loosing a very important physical, psychological and social aspect of a person’s life. The harmony attained by the combination of the inner world of a person and his “exterior” makes it very hard to say not even being a professional in this sphere that fashion is just about looks. Clothing is basically a covering designed to be worn on a person's body. This covering is a need, a necessity that is dictated by the norms of social conduct. This “necessity” brings a lot of variety into the lives of people and makes their image more complete. It is not about people serving fashion; it is about fashion being a slave of people.
2. Fashion and identity. The type of clothing completely depends on the person who is wearing it; therefore it becomes a reflection of his perception of himself, which leads us to the term – personal identity. Lately a lot is being heard about personal identity and its meaning in the life of every single person on the planet. The choice of clothing and accessories (clothing that is worn or carried, but not part of a person’s main clothing) is as important as identification through the color of hair, height, skin and gender. Clothing nowadays is a media of information about the person wearing it [Barnard 21]. It is a cipher; a code that needs a decryption in order to understand what kind of person is underneath it. The present time offers a great variety of these “ciphers” and therefore gives people a large number of opportunities to reveal their identity. As every cloth carries a strong message about its owner, every owner “nests” a certain value in it depending on his temperament, mindset or today’s mood. Therefore, the clothing of a person is a mean of communication with the outside world. It is the way of telling people about the “state” and the ”status” of it owner [Barnes& Eicher 125].
2.a. Communication through fashion. Communication by its definition is supposed to be bilateral. So if a person carries a strong personal message to the people outside what is the response from their side? The response is the reaction on the clothes the person it wearing. It can be acceptance or complete outcast and a misunderstanding. This especially touches extraordinarity in clothing (a very expressive personal identity) or an obvious lack of taste and vulgarity. Malcolm Barnard in his book “Fashion as communication” makes a great work by outlining cultural roles, rules, rituals, and responsibilities that are maintained and constructed by fashion [Barnard 13,34]. Fashion is compared to art. It is like an architector that gives his creation any shape he desires and at the same time is the reflection of the architector’s belonging to a certain social level, a certain psychological condition and so on. One of the questions concerning the communication through fashion is whether the message possessed by fashion is the reflection of the internal or external identity. There are arguments that support each of the sides; therefore it goes without saying that fashion is a “polyhedral being” that intersects numerous internal and external aspects of any personality. The message that clothing contains is basically a way of nonverbal communication with gender, ethical and power aspects.
2.b. Impact on outer perception. Clothes have an immense impact on the perception of people around and on the perception of the person wearing them, too. A suit can make a person feel more confident and organized, which would eventually change even the gestures and the manner of talking of the person or for instance wearing jeans after a suit may change the conduct of a person to a very liberal and feeble one [Hollander 58]. The perception of people around can be very predictable in terms of their reaction on a person wearing this or that style of clothing. Fashion is one of the most powerful means of communication, which sometimes may play a vital role in the life of a person; it especially concerns the cases of getting a desired job. Therefore fashion may not only carry a message, it can also create a “pseudo-message” that is required by a situation the person finds himself in. This can be simply proved by analyzing the reaction of the people on the street on people wearing different types of clothing. The preference is always given to people dressed in “business style”, personifying their dignity and seriousness in everything. This is one of the primary reasons that even the smallest companies make wearing a suit one of their requirements for their employees. The customers feel more confident in such “consultants”. So, fashion is a very keen tool of manipulation while communicating besides its importance in social class, culture, sex and gender relations of people.
4. Men, women and fashion. Clothing is a fundamental part in the image of a contemporary man or a woman [Crane 47]. The image is constructed for various reasons and has various manifestations. Dressing has become a way to create, to reveal and to conceal information from the external observers. Fashion has always been considered to have more of a women based orientation. As soon as women realized that experimenting with their clothing might bring them the results they need they became the most interested consumers and the demand on women’s production increased greatly.
4.a. Women and clothing. In spite of all arguments fashion remains possessing an ambivalent entity. Women, have a great impact on the development of fashion worldwide. Of course one of the primary messages clothes carry is the social message. Women throughout the time have tried to make the clothing look more luxurious. Historically the social message has wildly transformed. It is very easily trace in Diana Crane’s book “Fashion and it social agendas”. Nowadays clothing is not an attribute of belonging to a clan, or to a restrained social level though it still can tell a lot about the financial status of a person. A person, especially a women is always greeted according to the way is dressed up. Therefore women may cause desirable reaction by knowing the expectations of the “opponent”. Historically, women wore traditional dresses, which signified their cultural and social status [Guy& Green 76]. As for now, traditional clothing has been completely subdued by “fashionable clothing”. Women clothing in the past had a lot to do with emphasizing femininity, neglecting man-like forms of dressing. Analyzing the way of dressing today it is necessary to say that ”fashionable clothing” has made a great “kick” to femininity. Women become less ladylike but more aggressive and businesslike. A woman is opposed to a man; it is no longer an “addenda” to a male, but a force able to contradict him and to compete with him. Women have accepted a lot of clothing styles that propagandize masculinity. Of course there still are women that are the embodiments of tenderness and femininity preserving women’s sexuality but nevertheless the general tendency of feminization in today’s society has done its work. Equality at work, business and politics has transformed the image of a woman greatly.
4.b. Men and fashion. Throughout the history starting with the middle ages men’s fashion has changed a lot. If the era of Renaissance was characterized by increased femininity in men’s clothes, the end of the twentieth century became the moment of maximal revealing of masculinity for men. Nowadays, identity has brought a lot of specific changes in the perception of a contemporary man. An open manifestation of sexual orientation has brought the image of a feminine man into fashion. The adaptation of feminine tendencies into men’s fashion is transparent. Men tend to choose practical clothes as casual clothing and suits as their “working uniform”[Hollander 43]. The whole image of a man is not brusque and rough anymore. It has become more flexible and soft. The construction of a man’s wardrobe starts with choosing from the variety of images offered by culture and class today. The gender boundary is gradually “wiped” off. Nevertheless, clothing remains the primary criterion of the evaluation of the opposite sex. While being very liberate towards the type of clothing of other men, they demonstrate especial criticism towards women’s clothing. This happens due to the variety and abundance of women around. Analyzing men’s fashion is like dealing with a complexity. This complexity is constantly changing and adjusting to the surrounding of tendencies.
4. Symbolism of clothing. It is no surprise to any of the people who at least know what fashion is that the clothes that people wear are usually very symbolic. The symbolism of clothing is another part of delivering the message that a person tries to put into it. The symbolism may touch any sphere. For instance: music, sexual orientation, some kind of club and so on [Barnard 62]. Originally, a symbol is a facility that is used to express feelings or belonging to some group of class often dealing with power and wealth. Every observable symbol may carry a deeper meaning than it is visually understandable. Expression of symbols through clothing is a very popular tendency nowadays. Symbolism in clothing may point to the profession the person is dedicated to, supporting the “cipher” theory. The perception of symbols is not the same as the perception of the whole clothing image of an individual, because people may interpret the same symbol differently and therefore the understanding of the carrier of the symbol will be completely different. For instance, a man with a tiger on this T-shit may seem aggressive to one person and a Green Peace member for another one. A bird may be a symbol of freedom and somebody can view it a symbol of light-mindedness. Every person has to be very careful with the symbol while visiting a foreign country, due to the double meaning of the symbols that may be offending to the culture the person is in. Though the goal of every symbol is to share information, nevertheless some symbols may be inappropriate. Particular articles of clothing also contain messages with give information about the person possessing them. For example a veil interpreted as mourning or an extreme aloofness. A walking stick may be necessary to the health condition but may also be a “sign of luxury”.
5. Culture and fashion. As every person belongs to a definite culture and has the right to reveal it, personal identity may sometimes be replaced by cultural identity. Cultural identity is the type of identity that is related to a certain culture or a separate group. It brings people belonging to a culture definite highlighting differences with other people. Clothing in terms of culture is to reveal either the historical roots of a person or the roots the group he belongs to. The oriental-followers are easily defined from the crowd by the specific collars and style of dressing they hold on to. Demonstrating a belonging to a certain cultural community is the free right of every person like people that freely declare who they are going to vote for. Talking about culture it is possible to mention that nowadays exists ”material culture” that dictates its own ways and code of dressing [Crane 51]. The liberation of culture off the borders made the cultural fashion developments increase dramatically. The “freedom of word” has found a place in every single cultural attribute nowadays. Wearing a cowboy hat may not be a sign of being from Texas, but a sign of political preference.For instance it is very easy to distinguish a European from a Hindu by the style of dressing or an Indian woman from an oriental woman by the distinctive spot on the forehead of an Indian woman and a veil worn by Moslem woman. Fashion has taken the best part of the traditional costumes of every culture and sometimes this leads to propagandizing a definite cultural group. For instance, the brightest example is the increasing interest towards the Moslems and oriental culture nowadays.
Conclusion:Fashion and identity are inseparable companions. Fashion with all its symbolism and attributes form an outstanding base for personal and cultural identification. Identity is a necessary process of a healthy personality as it is a part of self-realization of a person that is so much required for finding a place in life of every person. Fashion has become a tool for achieving harmony with the inner world and a way of revealing or concealing peculiarities. Fashion possesses a specific meaning and the more diverse is the society around us the more fashion-trend will appear and surprise us. As long as it does not hurt people around fashion symbols are acceptable, nevertheless while thinking about fashion and identity it is necessary to remember the ethical side of the issue. Fashion and identity through it still remains a twofold issue but there are a lot of positive aspects one can enjoy and share with other people.
Factors To Focus On When Writing Fashion Essay Papers
Fashion essay papers have been always considered as a social phenomenon, which reflect the spirit of an era. It is also known as a deeply intimate and private magical act. However, it is the individuality of the fashion designers, who will make fashion industry so attractive. Fashion essay papers also play an important role in the market for giving information on the latest trends and fashion. These essays are written by the teachers, authors, students and fashion experts from different parts of the fashion industry. Most of thee essays written by the experts will provide an insight into the fashion. However, before you start writing these essays, it is very important to know what it is and what it says all about. When you are planning to write a fashion essay, it is very important to make sure that you are talking about the advent of the fashion industry as well as its overall development over the years. You will also know what fashion is really about when writing fashion essay papers.
Given below are a number of fashion essay topics that are sure to help you achieve a decent grade!
Get Your Paper Done
Prices starting from $10.76
Fashion Essay Topics
The Influence of Fashion on Everyday Life
It would be an understatement to say that fashion influences just clothing; in fact, to be very precise fashion influences almost every aspect of our daily life. This essay throws light on how modern world is far more controlled by fashion and changing trends than many of us realize.
How do Economic Issues Shape Fashion Trends
More often than not, Fashion trends are a reflection of the political, social and economic changes and developments around us. This essay discusses in detail how economic factors such as recession and inflation impact the fashion industry and trends.
Fashion, culture and Identity
How does fashion impact our identity? Do clothes say much more than we realize? How can a dress or fashion trend communicate the intricate details of our personality and character? Is the desire to be fashionable and trendy universal, or is this desire limited to the upper strata of the society? This essay answers the above questions and many more...
Fashion as communication
Can fashion be leveraged to communicate an ideology or trait? If yes, then how? What does our fashion say about us? This essay discusses the above-mentioned questions in detail.
Fashion and its Social Agenda
There is a popular saying that clothes make the man, but is this saying applicable or relevant in the present world. Has the information conveyed by fashion and clothing changed because of the radical changes in the society. This essay tries to discuss facets such as class, gender and identity in clothing.
Get Your Paper Done
Prices starting from $10.76
Fashion and Modernity
This essay traces in detail the social and cultural history of fashion. Needless to mention, it also discusses why fashion and modernity are often used as interchangeable concepts.
Fashion as a Social Equalization Tool
Fashion changes incessantly and by doing so it acts as a social equalization tool. It differentiates one time from another, and one social stratum from another. While it unites those belonging to the same class, it secedes them from others. This essay discusses all this and also why it is the elite that often initiates fashion.
The Fashion System
This essay is basically a structural analysis of descriptions of women's clothing by reputable fashion writers. It intends to help readers with a brief history of semiology.
Is Fashion Predictable?
The cyclical changes in fashion are a proof of capricious consumerism. Sellers leverage individual and social psychology to manipulate the market. So, does the cyclical nature of Fashion make it predictable? This essay answers this and much more...
Barbie doll Fashion
Barbie dolls have a lot in common with the fashion of the medieval times, especially with children's fashion. Children in those times were dressed like adults, with lesser details though. Moreover, there were laws regarding dress and clothing which each class of the society could wear. This essay discusses the Barbie doll fashion in detail.
Fashion in the Western World
This essay discusses if Fashion is rightly considered as the forte of the western world, especially as the eastern world is slow to changes in clothing and dresses.
Fashion in the Eastern World
Fashion experts segregate the world into the Eastern and Western fashion regions. So, what is it that makes the fashion of the eastern world unique and distinct? This essay discusses the eastern world fashion in detail..
Fashion and Femininity
The definition of femininity is dynamic and changes with the developments in the society. This essay tries to explore the relationship between popular fashion and femininity, and how it changes with the change in times.
The Negative Effects of Fashion
The models in the fashion industry are often portrayed as perfect and individuals. This often impairs the self-esteem of the individuals who have less than ideal looks and body. Such individuals are overwhelmed and fashion impacts their life in a destructive way. This is an essay that discusses all the negative effects of fashion.
The Negative Effects of Fashion on Juvenile Minds
Teenagers and children are often overwhelmed and intimated by the radical changes in the fashion, and many of them are not able to cope well with the peer pressure to be fashionable at all times...
Fashion and Dance: Is There a Relationship?
Dancers might not have any direct influence from the fashion designers of their times, but no one can discount the fact that dancers often wear dresses that are officially designed by fashion designers, especially for stage shows. This essay discusses how fashion and dance are interrelated.
Fashion and the Image of the Ideal Woman
Have a look at any fashion magazine or fashion show, and you can observe that only ultra thin or emaciated models are portrayed as ideal women. However, there are few fashion magazines that have started to use women of normal physical stature as models. So why is it that fashion professionals mostly prefer thin models? This essay tries to answer...
Is Global Warming a Fashion Trend?
Nowadays, there is no dearth of television or print ads that use the theme of Global warming. Is the fashion industry trying to exploit this issue to meet their ends? Find the answer in this essay.
History of Fashion
Fashion is often defined as a clothing trend during a certain time or era. This essay explores how fashion has changed with the changing times.
Elizabethan fashion is very distinct as it reflects the disposition and values of the 16th century. Elizabethan era is especially known for the originality and creativity in fashion and clothing of that era. This essay explores how the values and ideologies of the Elizabethan England influenced the Fashion of those times.
This essay discusses how crossover fashion has become an acceptable part of many dynamic societies such as America. Crossover fashion has much do with the changing role of women in the society and this essay attempts to correlate the changing social status of women with Fashion.
Get Your Paper Done
Prices starting from $10.76
Know More About Fashion Thesis Paper Writing
According to some of the fashion thesis, wearing good clothes as well as accessories is considered to be fashion. However, there is also other fashion thesis that says that the fashion is influenced by the individual behavior, which will have an impact on the society. When you are writing or reading a fashion essay, the race and culture of the people located in different parts of the world decide what type of fashion they have to put on. It is also quite hard to predict, which way the fashion will turn. Therefore, when you are writing fashion essay papers, it is very important to consider some of the important factors and make sure that you are writing it in the best way. In case, if you are new and do not have any information on these essays, taking the assistance of a professional fashion essay writing service could be the best option for you.
Fashion trend and college essays
Fashion essay papers also provide different statements that fashion is considered to be an art form. The way the people look at it will different from one individual to another. Therefore, when you are getting ready to write the fashion essay papers, it is very important to make sure that you are considering the needs of all types of individuals and discussing the topic in the right way.
Incase, if you are new to write fashion essay papers and do not have any knowledge on it, we can help you. We are a professional essay writing service, which is helping people on different types of essays (i.e. interview essay, philosophy essay, personal essay). When you are taking the assistance of our experts, they will provide you comprehensive information on the type of essay you are getting into. We will provide you the structure of the fashion essay papers and some of the important factors you have to consider and include in the paper when writing it. Our company is also charging very affordable prices for the service we provide. Therefore, anyone will be able to take our services.